Powder vs liquid laundry detergent: Which one's better?
We’re in the business of laundry, so when it comes to laundry detergent, we know a thing or two about a good, clean wash. But have you ever wondered what the pros and cons are with powder and liquid laundry detergent, and which one’s best?
Clearly we have a favourite, so we reached out to David AKA Dr Washing Machine to get the lowdown on which detergent – powder or liquid – is better for you, your machine and your lifestyle.
Here’s what you need to know…
Powder Detergent Pros
- Better for machine maintenance as there’s less residue build up
- Commonly contains less plastic packaging (there’s still a plastic lining in the cardboard)
- Cheaper and more readily available in super bulk sizes
Powder Detergent Cons
- Easily clumps up and doesn’t break down well, which dries out and makes it hard to clean
- Contains ‘builders’, water chemicals that have been designed to stop the powder clumping which can contain microplastics
- Requires accurate measurement so overdosage is common
- Many formulas work well in warm and hot water but don’t easily dissolve in cold water
Liquid Detergent Pros
- Has a higher performance and works well in cold and hot water
- Won’t dry out in your main compartment
- Dissolves more easily in water and doesn’t leave a residue in your machine or on your clothes
Liquid Detergent Cons
- Prone to causing waxy residue build up in your machine
- Plastic packaging
- Can contain up to 90% water
- It can get messy if you’re too enthusiastic with your pour
The Difference With Dirt
So we’ve talked about the difference between powder and liquid laundry detergents but what about the difference between us and other liquid detergents?
For starters, we’re a lot more planet-friendly. Our refill packs are made with a minimum of 30% post industrial waste and we use on average, 80% less plastic for the same weight product (we’re looking at you, pesky plastic jugs!). Made to live happily ever after with our glass dispenser bottles, you won’t have any issues with overdosing or gooey mess.
We’ve also extracted the water from our detergent which means you’re left with a more powerful and higher concentrate, and less cost per load. It’s true, look at the numbers here.
Not only are we better for the planet, we’re better for you too. Our detergents are 100% biodegradable, natural and plant-based. Importantly, they don’t contain ‘fillers’ which is code for bulking agents (a common practice amongst big manufacturers for both powder and liquid detergents) that cause grime in your washing machine and leave an undesirable trace on your clothes.
And there you have it, the pros and cons of powder and liquid laundry detergent. Which team are you on?
We’ll leave you with some thoughts from Dr Washing Machine, our newest convert…
“I’ve just made the switch to Dirt and I’m really impressed with the results. I’m very mindful of chemicals present in laundry detergents and try my best to choose options that are natural and more eco-friendly for my family. I’ve been using Dirt to clean my daughter’s clothes and you can’t even tell they were stained in the first place!” – David, Dr Washing Machine